Missing Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caroline Garrand

3 posters

Go down

Caroline Garrand Empty Caroline Garrand

Post by Caroline G. Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:18 pm

World: World PRIME

Name: Caroline Garrand

Position: Student (10th year)

Appearance:
Caroline could be described as an outstanding lady. It is difficult to not notice her when she enters a room, especially because of her height. Coming from a family of giants, it is not a surprise that she grew up to be one of the tallest girls in her class. 6’ (182 cm) and more than half is made of her damn long legs. It was one of her pride until she lost use of them, especially when she was dancing as she was loving the stuff. Of course, since the accident, she made no mention of this or of singing, two of her passions before.
But focusing on her legs would be forgetting a lot. They support a nice and thin waist. The tall girl never needed to watch her weight, as it was already difficult for her to feed such a tall body, especially because she had taken the bad habit of eating so little during lunch. Her chest isn’t really modest but it’s not oversized either, at the great pleasure of Caroline. She can easily enhance it with the good choice of clothes and she can try to make it invisible when hiding it under a pullover.
Finally, her face is truly welcoming, as she is used to bearing a gigantic smile all the time. Her lips are naturally red and a bit pulpous, but not too much. She has a small nose, too small for her taste and two big brown eyes, so clear that they sometimes seem grey. The whole face is surrounded by her long dark hair. She had always been fond of letting it grow, but since she didn’t cut it during the whole time she was at the hospital, they are now longer than they have ever been. Their tips actually stop at the far end of her back.

Usually, she wears very simple clothing : jeans – always blue -, a shirt of soft colors and a jacket if necessary. Caroline isn’t either too fond of jewelry and the most than she can wear are earrings.

Since the accident, she has become noticeable for a totally new reason : she is always seen in her wheelchair. It’s a big model, built so that she can use it manually or she can simply push a button to maneuver automatically. For now, it’s only black and steel, but she intends to customize it as soon as possible.

Backstory: “So... how are you feeling today, Caroline ?”

That's a good question, doc. I don't know. How do you feel ? Yeah, probably not the answer he's waiting for. Meh, let's just smile.

“I'm okay, doc. I guess. What's up ?”

He doesn't answer, as usual. I learned not to expect him to answer my dumb questions, he's only there to take care of me after all, not make the conversation. But still, he seems quite young to be a neurosurgeon. I like to hear him talk, even about the accident, he has a nice voice.

“That's good, Caroline. Have your sensations decreased ? Increased ?”

“Still the same, doc. I kinda can feel my thighs, but can't move them.”

He bites his lower lips, like he always does when he's thinking about something. I don't really know what exactly, today. It's been weeks since the last time something changed. My legs are still stuck and I can barely feel them.

“Good. Still some pain ?”

I don't answer this one ; it's hard to do it with a smile, but I still nod softly.

“Okay, I'll prescribe you some painkillers, then.”

If you say so, I won't refuse. Still, they mess with my head sometimes, I don't like that.

“You've recovered everything in your arms and chest, so it's not entirely impossible for you to recover your legs too.”

I nod again, not that I believe him, but what else could I say ? It's been more than a year now. I don't really care anymore.

“Would be nice doc. Can I ask a question ?”

“Sure. Is there a problem ?”

“I just wanted to know... Since I can feel some pressure, some pain and all that. Can I still feel... everything, in that area ?”

It certainly didn't go as easily as I intended, but hey, it's still ok and I'm sure he'll get my question, right ?

“Well, I guess so. What do you mean exactly ?”

Please don't push me to ask it directly.

“Like, pain okay ? Can I feel a shiver ? Some... you know, pleasure ?”

“Hum... I think so, why... ?”

“Can I make love ?”

There. You made me ask it, I hope you're happy. Couldn't you just answer the question nicely, as you do usually ? It's not even a hard question, yes or no, just tell me.

At least, he doesn't blush. He simply takes off his glasses and smile, almost shyly, which is strange because I'm probably ten years younger than him, I should be the one to blush.

“I think you can, yes. Try not to push too much on your legs, though.”

I didn't intend to. Somehow, I'm glad I finally managed to ask that, it's been bothering me for almost a year now and I couldn't ask it when my family was here, nor my friends. I don't know why I took so long to do this, maybe I was afraid of the answer.

We discuss for a few more minutes before finally getting out of his office. He goes first and I roll my wheelchair behind him to meet my family again. My brother is, of course, the first to stand up, a little smile on his lips, my father quickly follows and then... Oh hi mum. Been a while. I can't help but laugh internally at how she came so much these past months, as if nothing has happened, just because of the accident. I'm not going to forget it, mum. Neither forgive. I still smile to all of them, from my chair.

“Hey. You were waiting for me ?”

They don't laugh, or smile more. It's been like this for a year now. I'm just the only one who makes effort for this.

“So, what do you think of your new chair ?” my father ask, softly.

I should thank him, I'm guessing. He's the one who bought it after all, and it's a nice chair. Very comfortable and electric, so I can either use my hand to make it move, or press a simple button. It's pretty big though, bigger than a normal one.

“It's great. Too bad I can't add flames on the wheels, would be so cool, right ? I would look like I'm going full speed.”

Once again, my joke only makes me smile. I hate that, even my brother didn't even make a slight effort to look happy. Stop looking at me like that, you idiots, I'm paralyzed, not dead. Not yet, anyway.

“Would you like to go test it outside ?”

“I don't think it would be a good idea” said the doc, right behind me. “Last time we gave her a chair, she went full speed in the corridor, yelling 'I can't find the brakes on this thing' so...”

“It was fun.”

“It was. But you don't need to do it again.”

I smile and managed to make my brother smile a little more. Good start for today. I still have it, even after a year.

It wasn't the best year for jokes, I have to admit it. For the first few months, I wasn't talking a lot, even to all people that came to visit me while I learned how to not walk. I think I was depressed, or something like this. I kept thinking about my legs and how I was going to need them back. I mean, I lived with them for so long, it was weird to let them go like this. So I was always in my own mind, thinking, without care for the people around me. Only when I saw my brother not smiling for the thousandth time did I understood there was something wrong.

I had always been a joker, a comic, the funny girl. I may not have many friends, but I succeeded in making all of them smile, even if it means being horrible to them from time to time. Making horrible jokes. They loved that, those jokes, about anything and anyone, because that's what humor is right ? I couldn't let go of that because of the accident, so I started making horrible jokes about the best thing there is : myself. Cripples are the best sources of jokes after all. I smiled again, and laughed again, and told jokes about my condition. But I was the only one, not one of my friends or family wanted to laugh with me.

But at least, I try. Someone has to.

Back in my room in the clinic, I fix my eyes on the little computer at the other end of the bed. My family has been gone for an hour or two, something to do in town apparently. They always go together, apparently. It's not really a problem for me, it's been months now, I know how to spend time in this hospital without being bored too much.

Before the old laptop is done booting, I can hear someone knocking at the door.

“It's open !”

I let go of the laptop at its place and turn to see who's coming at this hour of the day. Ludovic. The tall blond is still looking at his feet and I can barely hear his “Hello”.

“Oh, hi, you piece of shit. Nothing better to do today ?”

I smile sarcastically. Ludo has been my best friend since we were kids, I think we started to insult each other for fun when we were in eighth grade or something like this. He was also the driver in the accident, since then he doesn't joke as much as me.

“How are you ?” he asks, shyly.

I shrug.

“Kinda good, I guess. You ? How's Valentine ?”

We talk about the others, my friends, those who came this week, those who couldn't. He only answers to my questions and ask his own, he doesn't even try to joke or smile. I know he feels guilty about the accident, so I try my best not to mention too much of it. It's not his fault. I mean, yeah, he had a few drinks, but so did I.

“Did you see ? I got a new wheelchair ?”

I point my finger at the object in the corner of the room.

“Awesome, right ?”

He nods slightly. Well, that's probably the best I can get out of him for today. I sigh, trying to do it quietly, but he probably heard. Ludo hasn't been the same since this day. I guess I can't blame him for this.

I remember the first time I woke up, he was there, crying on my bed. The only thing I could hear him saying was “Sorry”. We were three in the car, he got a broken ankle, Valentine a broken nose and I got a broken spine. I don't think I was ever angry at him for all this. Firstly, because he's already too angry at himself, and secondly because I was first too focused on myself to be angry at anyone. Now, it's just too old, I don't want to think about this too much.

As soon as my father enters the room, Ludo flies out of the room and I can't say a word to prevent him to go. My parents don't even look at him as he goes and my brother frowns at him. I sigh, loudly this time.

“What took you so long ?”

“We were looking for someone.”

Before I can say anything, a little ball of joy and fun storms into the room. She jumps from the ground to my bed with little to no effort and I can only open my arms for my little cousin's hug.

“Caroline !”

“Hey sweetheart ! Long time no see.”

I can see her mother entering the room behind her, and the concerned look on her face. The same as my parents. For a moment, I wonder why, before I remember how quick was the little girl when jumping. Idiots, I'm not made of glass or sugar. I can still take care of my cousin.

“They said you are going back home soon !”

“I know ! Isn't it awesome ? I'll be there for the start of your school year. Where are you going already ?”

I know it of course, but at her age, it's still fun to ask.

“7th grade !”

“Really ? How, you grew up so fast. Soon, you'll be taller than me !”

I manage to keep myself from adding “It'll be easier now that I'm in a wheelchair.” because I'm not sure how this joke would be received.

“About the school year, Caroline.”

I almost jump – metaphorically – in surprise at the sudden intervention of the surgeon. I didn't see him enter the room.

“Your father told me that you wanted to take a year of high school somewhere in the U.S, right ?”

I nod. It seems so long ago now. It's not usual in France to take a year or study in another country, not at my age anyway. But I want to study English and American literature. So at the time, it seemed only logical to go. I had even found a school willing to try, somewhere in Nevada. Now, it's obvious that I can't go anymore, especially after I lost a whole year in an hospital bed.

“Well, if you're still willing to try something like that. There is a school in Toronto that could be perfect for your needs. It's in Canada.”

I know where Toronto is. I hold my cousin closer to me, frowning this time. My needs ?

“They specialize in disabled student, you could have a room adapted to your needs and they have a 24/7 team of nurses for everyone.”

“Could it be they have sexy nurses ? With the little skirts and everything ?”

Despite the laugh that I share with the doc, I can catch the look of disapproval in my mom's eyes.

Yeah, I don't really care mom. You rejected me almost two years ago.

Strangely enough, a few months back, I wouldn't have been so talkative about my preferences like this. I only told some of my friends and my parents. Biggest mistake of my life. Suddenly I was a stranger to mother, and my father was too much of a coward to say anything about her opinion. Then, the accident, and suddenly they all needed to make believe they were good parents. I can't blame them for that, but still, they could have at least talked about all that.

“Caroline ?”

Oh yeah, they are still waiting for an answer. Why should I know ? Couldn't they ask me that a while earlier so I could think about it ? My eyes go from the doc to my family. They are all expecting me to come back home and rest, maybe take another year off school, just to make sure I'll be ok. I'm pretty sure mum would even accept me staying home a few years just to look like the perfect mother. Of course, I probably won't be able to bring a girlfriend home. Even sharing the house with them sounds horrible, especially now that my brother is away. But still, in Toronto, I won't have any of my friends.

On the other hand, maybe people will like my jokes better in a school for crippled.

“I'll go to Toronto.”

That was the fastest and most not-thought decisions yet. I kinda like the look on my family's faces.

Despite all my effort, I can't help but yawn heavily as we are waiting at the airport. The big brother can't not notice it, but he doesn't comment. Like he should, because that's entirely his fault if we stayed up all night just to play video games. It's surprisingly easy to fall asleep on a wheelchair and it's difficult for me to keep my face straight and not just close my eyes for a second.

“Are you sure about this ?”

Luckily, he's here to make sure that don't happen. I let out a little sigh, but smile immediately. I can't complain, he's my brother and the only one that volunteered to come at the airport with me today. Dad was working and Mum... well, I didn't expect mum to come anyway.

“Yes, Ben, I'm sure. Come on, you know how much I wanted to travel and I can take care of myself.”

I can see the look of disagreement on his face, so I immediately add.

“I mean, apart from the 'I can't move my legs anymore' part I think I did pretty well until now.”

“You know it's not what I meant.” he responds, almost in a whisper.

Okay, not in the mood to joke. If it has been anyone else, I might have kept on the joke, but Ben is the big brother, so I just smile softly.

“Don't worry about me, bro'. I'll be fine. I need this, you know it. I'll become crazy if I stayed at Mum and Dad's for more than a week.”

He nods, even if he already offered me to stay at his appartment for a few months. I don't want to be a burden for him. Plus, a school for crippled is still a good school, it's an opportunity I just can't let go that easily.

“Ms. Garrand ?” calls suddenly a young woman in a steward uniform.

“Yes, it's me.”

I turn immediately my wheelchair toward her and she offers me a nice fake smile before inviting me with her. She'll be the one to show me the place in the plane. My brother and I exchange a quick look before a final awkward goodbye. A few minutes later, I'm on the plane and the fact that I'm a crippled give me access to a nice place next to a window. I can't stop myself from simply looking at it, despite the fact that I took a laptop and a Nintendo with me for the flight. Seems I won't need to use them, for now.

It's funny, until a few months back, I would have considered myself pretty lucky. Born into a good family, an old family even, not rich as hell, but still rich enough to ensure a proper education and a simple life for everyone. My father was a farmer's son, but he decided to start a rental office with a friend, a while back. It was a success and with that, he could have payed for my brother and I education for years without worrying. Because of that, I lived a pretty simple life in France, we even settled in Paris so I could pursue my studies in the best condition. I wanted to try literature and everyone seemed eager to let me try.

Then came the teenage years. Oh boy. I was a pretty nice girl, until I understood completely what exactly was my... “problem”. Then I tried to tell my parents, once I found my first girlfriend. And it went to hell. I believe the words dishonored and disinherited were pronounced, both by my mother. At the time, I was sure this was going to destroy my family. Ben – my dear big brother – started to yell too, and he was almost going to be disinherited too. Luckily for everyone, the accident happened not even a week later and suddenly everyone was behind me. No one would have wanted to seem like a horrible parent.

I think I've been pretty lucky on that one, apart from the leg-part still, because my whole family came to visit, every month for a year. Even my mother. My father promised that I would never have to worry about the money and all that. Bunch of hypocrites. Ben was the only true one. He brought my laptop so I could write, my music so I could sing.

The memories made me sigh. I lied to him for a year, pretending to write something when all I was doing was torturing my keyboard. And why sing when you can't dance ? Of course, he wouldn't have liked seeing that, so I played along, joking and playing. I feel bad for putting the same play with him as the rest of the family, but I have no choice. I'm a lucky girl. I can't be seen looking sad, even if I'm on a wheelchair.

Just because I'll be surrounded by cripples doesn't mean I'll have to stop acting like it.

Powers: /

Personality: Caroline seems almost always joyful and happy when you meet her for the first time. That's because she wants to seem like that to everyone. She feels like she has a duty to look like nothing affects her. Before the accident, she was a very social girl, not that she had too many friends, but she knew how to make one and had no problem keeping them. She loved to dance, to sing, to joke, she knew how to talk about movies, games and stuff, despite not being an hardcore fan of all that. She was always smiling, always partying.

The incident – as she calls it herself sometimes – has changed that, of course, but she doesn't want to acknowledge it. That is actually her main problem, she acts like nothing happened, in front of her doctors, her family, her friends and everyone she happens to meet. Since she had a reputation for making jokes, even bad taste ones, she keeps doing that. And since she has now a handicap, she figured the best way to make people comfortable around her would be to keep making jokes about that. Most of the time, it doesn't work like that, but that's not stopping her from doing it.

Despite that, she's still eager to be the “funny one” when joining a class. She tends to be nice to everyone as long as no one is bothering her. She can be quite insistent when it comes to knowing people actually, and will probably need a few weeks to adapt to her new school. However, she doesn't need much to start disliking someone and she can hold a grudge for very long and not for good reasons. It's easily noticeable when she's like that ; she does a lot more of sarcasm and her tone tends to be cold with the person she targets.

Caroline is also reluctant to speak about herself in detail, even if she can talk about some of the main events of her life with no problem, she'll never really say how it affected her and she'll stay on the surface. She hasn't experienced it yet, but it might become a problem when it'll come to making friends at Tachibana.

Last edited by Caroline G. on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:42 am; edited 3 times in total
Caroline G.
Caroline G.

Back to top Go down

Caroline Garrand Empty Re: Caroline Garrand

Post by Raiden Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 pm

I actually really like this character! She seems really fun and unique while also having a pretty good amount of depth, with lots of room for character development. The way you told her backstory was a bit unorthodox, but you did give us all the necessary information, so I'd say it works - it's definitely more compelling than a Wikipedia-style synopsis. I'd say that if there's one negative thing I need to point out it's the numerous typos. I don't think it's anything game-breaking, as I still understood everything just fine, but I would advise you to read it again and see if you can spot anything (I'd particularly like to address one particular issue that popped a lot, where you put and "s" at the end of some words that don't need it and didn't place it where it was needed). Since Mootking is generally our proofreading guy, I'd say that it'd be wise for him to look at the profile and decide if it's good to go or if it needs more work, but content-wise, it seems really good to me!
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

https://missingpages.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline G. Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:46 pm

Thank you ! I wasn't sure how this backstory would be seen but I tend to write them like that, I find this way more compelling than just writing everything like an outsider. Plus, it gives a pretty good idea of how I would write in rp, even if I'll be more detailed when it comes to real stuff ^.^

You're right, there was - and probably still are - a lot of errors in the text. I re-read it and I think some of the issues, especially about the "s' (I hate that letter, she appears on verbs with "you" in French, that's why I'm often confuse and forget to add it :p) I tried to make the text a little better, I don't know how much mistakes there is left. I hope it'll be okay and I hope I'll improve over time !
Caroline G.
Caroline G.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMootking Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:17 am

I agree with Raiden, the use of a descriptive scene rather than a non-fiction style approach to the backstory was certainly refreshing. I liked it. I liked it a lot. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but whenever I thought of a question about the character it would be answered within the next few lines. The slow drip of important information was done with great effect.

As previouslyt said, it's a character that will be received well among the community and I can forsee the development going a long way!

Finally, the grammar. Taking into account that French is your first language (I assume), the grammar and spelling is surprisingly accurate. I speak both French and English as well, funnily enough, and I can completely see where the mistakes have come from. You're right, it's the difference between first and second person verbs. I don't know what the first iteration of the profile looked like, but I'll just go through the whole thing and highlight the mistakes in red with corrections in blue. I'll put them in a spoiler below.

As soon as they're done, though, you'll have my approval! Felicitations, et bienvenue au forum!
TheMootking
TheMootking

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiden Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:42 am

Oh, one thing that I would like to point out (I meant to do that last night but forgot) is that you might want to lower her age just a little bit, perhaps make her about 17, having had her accident at 15-16 and still skipping a year of school. My reasoning for this is that I assume she's going into 12th grade, which would mean that she'd only be in the school for a year at best. After she graduates, she'll lose the ability to interact with most of the characters (the students) and unless we get a whole lot of adults here (unlikely, if our previous forum was any indication) there just won't be a whole lot you'd be able to do with her after graduation. if you lower her age to 17 (or maybe even younger, up to you), she'd have 2-3 years of school left instead of just one.
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

https://missingpages.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline G. Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Thank you very much Mootking ! ^.^ I'll wait for the corrections then :p

As for her age, I think I won't go under 17 as the way she thinks and acts seems more apropriate for someone of that age than for someone younger, but I get your point, so I changed that too
Caroline G.
Caroline G.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMootking Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:47 am

Corrections:

Sorry for the delay. Fell asleep last night and I've been busy all day!
TheMootking
TheMootking

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline G. Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:43 am

Well, thank you ! There wasn't as much as I would've expected :p

I think I got all of them, tell me if I missed anything. ^.^
Caroline G.
Caroline G.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMootking Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:20 am

It's all good! You have my approval!

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to start roleplaying now, but keep in mind that we haven't officially launched yet so you'll have to make do with whoever else gets "early access" for a few days. That shouldn't last longer than a week, though!
TheMootking
TheMootking

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline G. Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:21 am

Perfect ! Since I have little to no patience, you can expect me to start a topic pretty quickly Razz
It'll probably be an open one

Anyway, thanks you for the help and the approval !
Caroline G.
Caroline G.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down